Let’s start with three truths about feedback:
- Most of the feedback you receive as a speaker is not very useful.
- Useful feedback is hard to find and uncomfortable to receive.
- To reach your potential as a speaker, you require substantial feedback.
These truths present a few conundrums:
- If most feedback is useless, how and where do you find useful feedback?
- If receiving feedback is uncomfortable, why would you want to seek it? How do you get in the right frame of mind to accept it?
In this article, we define useful feedback, describe how and where to collect it, and discuss how to adopt a mindset which embraces honest feedback.