Article Category: Resources for Speakers

Professional Speaker Associations


Our recent interview with Kristin Arnold, President of the National Speakers Association, led me to several questions:

  • How many professional speaker associations exist?
  • Where are they?
  • How long have they been around?
  • How many members do they have?

Do you know the answers? Read on!

Global Speakers Federation

The Global Speakers Federation (GSF) is a loosely affiliated network of professional speaker associations around the world.

It launched in 1998 with member federations from four countries: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States. The GSF now counts 10 full member federations, one candidate federation, and one more federation which is forming. The countries represented are shown in the map below in red.

The GSF leadership team includes an executive council, as well as representatives from the member federations.

Most of the member federations are relatively young, with 8 having formed in the last decade, and the oldest going back just 37 years. The total individual membership is just 5780 speakers. I suspect (but have no evidence) that this is just a small fraction of the number of professional speakers worldwide. Nonetheless, there appears to be rapid growth, and we may see these numbers rise considerably in the next few years.

Country Short Name Full Name Founded Members
Australia NSAA National Speakers Association Australia 1987 500
Canada CAPS Canadian Association of Professional Speakers 1997 570
France
(candidate)
FPSA French Professional Speakers Association 2008 60
Germany, Austria, Switzerland GSA German Speakers Association 2005 500
Malaysia MAPS Malaysian Association of Professional Speakers 2001 210
Middle East
(in formation)
PSAME Professional Speakers Association – Middle East 2007 55
Netherlands PSAH Professional Speakers Association Holland 2006 70
New Zealand NSANZ National Speakers Association of New Zealand 1994 122
Singapore APSS Asia Professional Speakers Singapore 2003 85
South Africa PSASA Professional Speakers Association of Southern Africa 2002 220
United States NSA (NSAUS) National Speakers Association 1973 3150
United Kingdom PSA
(PSAUK)
Professional Speaking Association 2000 238

Other Professional Speaker Associations

Others? Please let me know.

Is Your Country Represented?

Is there a professional speaker association in your country?

If so, have you ever investigated the resources that are available to you in growing your speaking skills and business opportunities?

Please share this...

This is one of many public speaking articles featured on Six Minutes.
Subscribe to Six Minutes for free to receive future articles.

Comments icon2 Comments

  1. Alicia White says:

    Hello, Andrew!

    I love the information you provide in your articles and have signed up to receive the e-newsletters.

    I’d like to share with you about an up and coming speaker association: at the first of this year (2013) the Public Speakers Association was founded by Austin based speaker, author, business expert Tonya Hoffman. In just a few short months, the association has a large following with local chapters in many states in North America and a few countries will come on in line soon such as the UK. I would love to talk with you about PSA or direct you to Tonya. The website is http://www.publicspeakersassociation.com and our mission is to Change the World from the Front of the Room!

    In just a few months of my joining as a Business Connector member and Chapter Director, I have made numerous, beneficial business connections AND become a national speaker. Many members readily share the value they have received. It’s been amazing.

    Thank you in advance for your consideration!
    Alicia

  2. Tom Ware DTM says:

    Over the years I’ve been a member four different public speaking organizations – I’m still in one: Toastmasters, which I joined in 1972.
    My experience – around four years with the National Speakers Association of Australia – convinced me that only around 5% (that is one in twenty) of it’s members would qualify as being solely keynote/and/or entertaining speakers earning a full time living as such. The remaining 95% are involved in training and teaching others, much of it Public Speaking and Presentation Skills.
    There’s an awful lot of competition at this level.

Tweets iconRecent Tweets